Malaysian Atheist

An avowed atheist living in Malaysia.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Reboot

Sorry, I haven't posted anything here since end of May. My last post was kinda depressing, people must've thought I killed myself after that. Sorry to disappoint the religious fundies, but I'm still alive. I've just been pretty busy (with work) and expect to remain busy till the end of the year, so I don't think I'll be blogging too much.

Also, the present situation in this country, under the (non-)leadership of Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, is extremely hostile towards dissident blogs. I'm sure many have heard of the arrest of opposition blogger Nathaniel Tan, the police report against Raja Petra and most recently, attempts to charge a Malaysian Chinese student in Taiwan. Clearly in Malaysia, the government doesn't want you to have an opinion. The government doesn't want you to ask questions. The government doesn't want you to think on your own. So, now isn't quite a good time to be expressing my opinions quite so openly, though I will be expressing my opinion at the coming polls!!

In other news, I really feel for the group of South Koreans who were captured by the Talibans. I really, really despise the Talibans. Even before 9/11, I've read and warned people about them. They represent the worst of religion. I don't know what kind of religion can justify murdering a human being and taking people hostage? But the Koreans themselves need to shoulder the blame. No doubt, they had noble intentions to help the Afghans (and spread the gospel, perhaps?) but it is also extremely foolish of them to be walking into the lions' den. Just because, in the Bible, God sent an angel to protect Daniel from the lions, doesn't mean that in real life, an angel will come and stop the Talibans. There are no angels, just as there are not fairies and unicorns. But there are plenty of misguided, militant and unsound religious fundamentalists out there.

So, I'll try my best to blog when I have time or whenever something interesting comes along. Hope you all will drop by from time to time.

3 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, August 12, 2007, Blogger BEAST FCD said...

Welcome back.

Sorry to hear about the situation in Malaysia. Mad, crazy religious morons who do not understand the meaning of free speech.

 
At 1:11 AM, December 20, 2008, Blogger Soffian Shariff said...

hello...I stumbled across your blog and I found it very interesting...I usually write in Bahasa Malaysia,please forgive me if I had made any errors on writing this comment...
I personally agree with you that our country doesn't practice the right of free speech..although it is stated in the FC as a fundamental need to form a democratic nation..

however Mr Atheist (I dont know your name) sir, to point finger at the Taliban as the sole contributors of violence in Afghanistan is quite unfair...

American troops contribute much more violence and suffering towards the Afghans, Iraqis, and Vietnamese in their crusade against communism and Islam..

I'm not defending the Afghan Taliban or any other freaky fundamental psychotic groups that kill in the name of the Lord..but if we were to talk about violance we should see it in a larger scope rather than confining them to just a mere fraction of the problems..what about the KKK in America??? I meet one of them on my visit to Texas a few months back.. and all i can say that..they really hate Asians...I'm half Indian and Half Malay...they called me "Sand NIgger"..the fact that I came from Muar, Johore Malaysia where the only sand that we have is on our beaches and islands doesnt came cross their mind...hehe..I would be more happy if they called me "tree nigger" or "tropical nigger"..

why dont we relate the Bush admin with our Malaysian gov...
we have ISA they have the patriot act...

I do believe that ISA should be abolish...or amended so that no innocent Malaysian could be a victim of it's monstrosity..

However I also think that the Malaysian kid studied in Taiwan(that raps about how suck it is to be Malaysian Chinese and how fucked up the Malays here) should be punished..

Racial card shouldn't be played like that, even with the right to free speech is given fully..
it is very fortunate that the Malays in this country didnt retaliate..if they did, it would be a spark of a horrible sight..and there will be no winners in it...we've seen the result of 13 May..and we would not want to see it again...

all and all, I agree with you..just need a larger scope in discussing serious matters like this.. thats all...

btw sir, are you a satanist??? I have this one friend that is a "black metal" member and he said that atheism is a part of satanism..is this true???

 
At 4:15 AM, January 03, 2009, Blogger Meursault said...

Hi Soffian,

Thanks for your comment. I can assure you that I'm not a satanist, for in my opinion, atheism cannot be a part of satanism. How can it be?

I'm not really sure what satanists believe in. My guess is that they believe Satan is their Lord and Saviour, yada yada yada. How can atheism be a part of this when atheists do not believe in such supernatural beings?? I'm quite sure your Black Metal friend is mistaken.

You are quite right that fundamentalists are not confined to the Talibans in Afghanistan. Many Christians in the Bible belt of America can also be considered fundamentalists. Racism too is real. It's a shame that racism still exist in many parts of the world to this day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home